Wednesday 4 December 2013

What I did in Novemeber

Things have started to get very busy for me in my little online shop, and I am starting to see myself making a career out of doing the things I love- creating with fibre, colour and texture. Thank you for all your support so far- you know who you are!

So! I designed a new chunky handspun called 'I WANT candy!' Made from hand dyed merino in sugary bright colours then plied with handfuls of sequins. I love plying thick n thin with threads- the effect is something in between curly ringlets and vintage ricrac and I can spend ages just squiging it! 
This is a picture of it on my trusty spinning wheel, in all her pastel pink glory! It was a fun spin and could very quickly work up into a cute hip length cardigan- I think I will spin more for myself soon- this first lot sold on my shop within hours of posting it, which I found very touching and exciting!

I also spun up one of my Meteor batts into a very fine singles, keeping the colour stripes separate so I could attempt Navajo plying. I had never tried Navajo before and since then you can't stop me! It is very addictive and mediative chaining lengths of one strand of yarn and ending up with a three ply! The resulting yarn is perfect for socks- it still has thick and thin variations, but is consistent enough and strong enough with the bamboo to work well. 
This brings me into my next event for Novemeber- I am finally learning how to knit socks! I resisted for a very long time, thinking that it was too beyond my technical abilities or patience threshold, but after spinning that Meteor batt so finely I couldn't wait to dig out my DPN's!
I took this picture just after I cast on and successfully knitted the first few rounds of rib. I was very smug at this point! The background is a little drawing I completed as part of a Botanical drawing  class. 

Finally, even though this has been the busiest month for my Spin City yet, I still managed to get out into the local countryside that I love. I'm sitting in a magical spot nearby my village where the trees have at one time fallen down, then started growing upwards again- several different species in the same place have all grown in this way - I wonder why! It is such a restful, enchanting grove and I always take time to refect and enjoy their strange beauty. 
I will be updating the blog with more dyeing and spinning in my next post! 
Louise x

No comments:

Post a Comment